Search This Blog
Thursday, February 7, 2013
Who is Responsible for What the Media Reports?
Many people debate about whether it is the media's fault that they report on such dumb topics or if it is the people who read about the dumb topics' fault. I think it is a combination of both. For things having to do with celebrities, I believe that is the consumer's fault. The consumers like to keep up to date on what all of the famous people are doing, so the news reporters report on it. But, I think the excessive reporting on things like the Sandy Hook shooting is the media's fault. It is important to know what is going on in other places, but the media takes it out of proportion. They go beyond what they should report on it. There is even a conspiracy theory regarding it. I think the media should report on more important things, but the consumers are also a little to blame for that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I completely agree with your statements about where the fault lies. I had a one sided opinion, but this shows me that it isn't just one side's fault.
ReplyDeleteI agree. I think that it is definetly a cobination of both. The example about the celebrities dumb news being the consumer's fault is a really good example. I think that they only report on those things because those are the stories that are selling the newspapers. And all the news companies only really care about how much money they are making.
ReplyDeleteI agree. Media is run by the society, but they also have a say on what they put in the media. Kinda like the "gatekeeper" thing. I could really care less about angelina jolie being pregnant again, but i watch it because thats all that is on the news nowadays.
ReplyDelete